<< Back
Message for this thread
Posted by Messages text
Jim Barrington

Noavatar
Total post : 11
> Profile
Written on : 15/09/2006 03:01 ( more than one month )
Object : Images in Teacher Html Pages
Hi There

I have created a course and assigned a student and teacher. The teacher is creating the course content on the fly so is first creating a html web page in Dreamweaver, then uploading it into the course as a html page. It then appears under "lectures".

The problem we seem to be having is knowning the correct path to put into the html page for the images, then where to upload the images for the course. We do not want to code the full website url (in case we want to move the content later), but ./images/myimage.gif (relative paths) do not work.

I looked into the database and noticed all html page content is stored within a table in here. This will be why the relative path does not work - so what is the solution?

If we need to first create the course offline and import it as a SCORM package, what is the best utility to create this with? Is there a plugin for DrewaweaverMX?

Is there an easier way where we can just upload html files and images to a folder via FTP and associate them with a course?

Thanks

Jim

Erba Claudio

Total post : 2688
> Profile
Written on : 15/09/2006 09:48 ( more than one month )
Object : Re: Images in Teacher Html Pages
This is not the right way to work.

You can build html pages directly in docebo with the right tool, with exelearning (more useful than dreamweaver and open source) or trough dreamweaver but you will have to create a scorm package.

If you don't understand a simple "path" issue i will suggest not to work with FTP
Claudio
Docebo CEO and Founder
www.docebo.com

Jim Barrington

Noavatar
> Profile
Written on : 15/09/2006 13:55 ( more than one month )
Hi Claudio

Thanks for the reply. I DO understand path issues - I was asking for guidance on how to use THIS system.

I have evaluated Moodle, Atutor, Dokeos and Docebo. All of them are similar but different in terms of functionality and I have to say Docebo is by far the most impressive. However, it takes some getting used to and the manuals are not always clear on the finer points of using it. For example, in Dokeos, a teacher can create a course using only the admin interface and upload html pages with images into the system - without the need to use any external tools. However, I found dokeos to be unstable generally and many things which should work do not. In comparison, Docebo seems very stable and extremely flexible - once you know how it should be used.

Please do not be dismissive new users who ask questions which seem obvious to you. Now I know the best way to use docebo is to create SCORM packages, I will do as you suggest and use this method. Hopefully, someone who encounters the same problem in the future will find this thread and will not need to ask the same question because the answer is here.

Thanks again for responding - much appreciated. If you do not mind I will continue to ask dumb questions and hope for the answers. Your patience is appreciated

Fabio Pirovano

Total post : 538
> Profile
Written on : 19/09/2006 19:19 ( more than one month )
The optimal way is insert image using the function in fck editor, butwise if you want you can upload the image via ftp into the folder
files/doceboLms/custom_folder/
And then use the relative path ../files/doceboLms/custom_folder/image.ext in the html page

For the future we have in mind an importerfor complex webpages but now it is possible only troguht a scorm  package

Ciao
    Fabio
Docebo Staff

- Docebo 4 released! -

Jim Barrington

Noavatar
> Profile
Written on : 19/09/2006 20:59 ( more than one month )
Great - this is exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to respond with such clear instructions

Jim

Erba Claudio

Total post : 2688
> Profile
Written on : 19/09/2006 21:22 ( more than one month )

Please do not be dismissive new users who ask questions which seem obvious to you. Now I know the best way to use docebo is to create SCORM packages, I will do as you suggest and use this method. Hopefully, someone who encounters the same problem in the future will find this thread and will not need to ask the same question because the answer is here.

I, sorry for being dismissive
Then, docebo support lot of kind of learning object, exactly docebo support:
  • html pages (single)
  • quiz
  • survey
  • faq
  • help
  • glossary
  • scorm package
  • Link
Then, if you need to build more html pages,maybe linked trough them, the best way is not to use dreamweaver, just becuase dreamweaver create web pages that can't be loaded in docebo. On preoblem can be, what is the firts web page to show?

You have the IMS part of scorm standard that helps you in this, but lot of people don't know this, so the easyest way to do it is give them a really simple tool like exelearning, open source and really easy ... for everyone

http://exelearning.org/
Ciao
Claudio
Message modified by : claudio.erba on : 19/09/2006 21:23
Docebo CEO and Founder
www.docebo.com

Jim Barrington

Noavatar
> Profile
Written on : 19/09/2006 23:41 ( more than one month )
Thanks claudio for the information

I will check out exelearning. It certainly sounds like a tool I will want to use. (Oh no - it means I have to learn another new thing )

keep up the good work

Jim

<< Back