Docebo is a closed and protected network, meaning that only registered users can access the platform. Superadmins have the ability to decide between three user registration types:
- Free Self Registration
- Moderated Self Registration
- Only-by-Administrator Registration
The first two options allow the user to register and use the network freely, while the third type is for administrators who need to directly manage the registration process.
This article outlines how to manage all of the available registration types.
Free Self Registration
To activate the free self-registration, access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner of the platform, then choose the Advanced Settings option from the Settings section, and select the Self-Registration tab from the tabs menu on the left.
Flag the option to allow Free Self Registration and proceed by configuring the available options:
- Flag whether you want to send a confirmation email to the users or not. If you flag the option to disable sending the confirmation email, you can send the notification manually later. Learn more here.
- Enable the quick registration, if desired. More details in the Self-registration Options (Free and Moderated) chapter of this article.
- Restrict the domain allowed for self-registration. More details in the Self-registration Options (Free and Moderated) chapter of this article.
- Define an email address to be used as registrations and lost passwords email sender. This field is mandatory both for free and moderated self-registration; if not configured, the user registration will fail.
- Establish a time limit (in hours) for the expiration of the subscription request.
- Define whether first and last names are required for registration.
- Configure the registration codes’ usage, but only if you have set up an organization chart. More details in the Self-registration Options (Free and Moderated) chapter of this article.
Moderated Self Registration
When users self-register with a moderated self-registration, the Superadmin will need to approve the user into the platform in order to confirm the registration. Users will not be able to access the platform until their registration is approved.
To activate the moderated self-registration, access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner of the platform, then choose the Advanced Settings option from the Settings section, and select the Self-Registration tab from the tabs menu on the left and select Moderated Self Registration.
In order to approve or reject the self-registration of users, access the Admin Menu from the gear icon, then select the Users item from the E-Learning section. In the action bar in the top right corner of the Users Management page, the Pending Users button (clock icon) will show a red number in the corner, indicating how many users are waiting for confirmation. Press the button to see the users who have requested registration.
On this page, you can view who has freely self-registered, confirm or reject the registration, resend the verification email, check through the Yes or No value under the OPT-IN column if the user clicked the link in the confirmation email, and view user details. You can also apply the same action (confirm or reject) to multiple requests simultaneously. Simply flag the checkbox next to the names of the users, press the ellipsis icon in the bottom right corner of the page, and choose an action from the dropdown menu. Once you approve or reject a user, they will disappear from the list.
Self-registration Options (Free and Moderated)
The following options are available for the configuration of the free and the moderated self-registration:
You can restrict the user self-registration in the platform to some specific email domains. The subscriptions of the users registering themselves using an email with a different domain will be automatically rejected. Define the domains that are allowed to freely self-register by inserting your list in the Restrict Domains section.
If a user tries to register in the platform using a domain that you haven’t entered in the list, the system will automatically display an error message.
Define if you would like to use registration codes. Registration codes can be used when you’ve set up an organization chart. When this feature is enabled, users will be asked to manually enter a branch code or to select a branch name from a dropdown list (please note that only branches with a branch code will be listed in the branch names dropdown list), when they self-register into the platform so that they will be directly assigned to the selected branch.
If you flag the option to ask for a combination of a branch code and a course code, you need to define the course code in the course Advanced Properties menu -> Catalogs Options tab -> Code for the Automatic Enrollment to the Course option. Please note that this option is available only when the Subscription Codes app is active in your platform. By flagging this option, when a user enters the combined codes, he or she will then be directly registered into the sub-branch and enrolled into the course or learning plans associated with the course code.
If you’ve set up the option to allow free self-registration for a specific domain using the Extended Enterprise app, the user will automatically be placed in that domain’s specific branch (or sub-branch) in the organizational chart. When configuring the Registration Code Usage section for a specific domain, if you’ve flagged the option to Ask for a branch name chosen by the user from a list in a dropdown menu, users will only be able to see branch names associated with the domain’s branches in the dropdown list when registering on the login page of that specific sub-domain. Remember that only the names of branches with a branch code assigned will be visible in the dropdown list.
Please note that the Registration Code Usage options are not taken into consideration if you activate the quick registration. Users will not be required to select a branch code upon self-registering, and they will be automatically assigned to the root branch. Superadmins (or Power Users with granted permissions) will have to manually assign users to the branch of belonging after their registration.
Notifications and Passwords
When a user self registers, the system will autogenerate a password for the user. In order to ensure the user receives this password, you have to configure the User has been created (confirmed registration) notification. Be sure to include the [user_password] shortcode in the notification, as it is not included by default in the notification template.
Registration by Administrator
Setting this registration type will allow you (as the Superadmin) to register users to your platform rather than allowing them to register themselves. To set this option, access the Admin Menu from the gear icon in the top right corner of the platform. Then, choose the Advanced Settings option from the Settings area.
In the first section of the Self Registration tab from the tabs menu on the left side of the page, flag the Only by Administrator option, then press Save to confirm. Now, you must first create users yourself. Refer to this article to learn more about creating users in your platform. You can also massively import and manage users via CSV.
Once you’ve created and registered users, make sure you have configured the User has been created (confirmed registration) notification, so that users will receive a notification with their username and password, that they will use to access the platform. Be sure to include the [user_password] shortcode in the notification, as it is not included by default in the notification template.
- If you want to add specific information for the users that are going to self-register, you can edit the text Begin your new learning experience by simply filling out this form. in your platform’s Localization Tool. By doing so, you might add a default mandatory branch code, to be inserted in the specific field during the registration, in order to assign a specific branch to the users upon creation. In this way, all the new users will be created inside that branch and, later on, it will be easier to re-assign them to the desired branch. It is also possible to add other contact information, according to your needs.
- If using moderated self-registration, it is recommended that the User waiting to be approved in platform subscription notification should be configured to alert the Superadmin. Note that this notification will not be triggered if the user has not verified his/her email, which requires an advanced self-registration setting being checked, Do not send confirmation email at self-registration. The admin should approve pending users via Task List widget. A link to a page that holds this widget can be added to the notification.