In your platform, you can perform a global search for courses, learning plans, learning objects, informal learning assets, or questions & answers. Using the search bar at the top of your platform, simply type in the information for which you’re searching, then press the magnifying glass icon next to the bar.
Please note that search results depend on visibility, meaning that you will only see content to which you’ve been assigned to see. For example, courses or learning plans (and any related assets within them) in which you are not enrolled will not appear.
Which search criteria should I use?
When searching for content in your platform, you need at least 3 characters or words to trigger a search (please note that blank spaces and dash characters “-” will be excluded from the character count); you should search for text included in titles, descriptions, tags (for informal learning assets), additional text fields (for courses), or content that may be include within an informal or formal asset (such as keywords or what may be said by a narrator in a video, only works with English Content). The global search uses a full text search and prioritizes results based on an Elastic Search engine. You can find out more about search term relevance here.
Managing Search Results
Once you’ve typed your search criteria into the search bar, the search results will appear directly below. Press the title of the content to access it directly. Below each title is a description of the content, including which type of content it is (course, learning plan, learning object, knowledge asset, or question & answer). If the search term appears in asset’s content or tags, you will see an indication of this in the search result.
Press the View All Results button underneath the list to view a page of all returned results. On the results page, there are six tabs at the top to divide the search results: All Results, My Courses and Learning Plans, Courses Content, Courses Catalog, Knowledge Assets, and Questions & Answers.
– All Results. This tab shows all content that appears in your search, regardless of the asset category. It is a summary page of all returned results.
– My Courses and Learning Plans. This tab shows any results that are courses or learning plans in which you’re enrolled. Using the Filters item in this tab, you can filter the search results by status, type, deadline, duration, rating, or channels.
– Courses Content. This tab shows any results that are learning objects found belonging to the courses you can see (e.g. because they are part of a public catalog), regardless of you being enrolled or not in those courses.* Using the Filters item in this tab, you can filter the search results by type or duration.
– Courses Catalog. This tab shows any results that courses or learning plans within the catalog for which you have visibility.* Using the Filters item in this tab, you can filter the search results by type, price, or language.
– Knowledge Assets. This tab shows any results that are informal learning assets for which you have visibility, meaning that you published the asset yourself, or another learner published the asset in a channel that you can view. Using the Filters item in this tab, you can filter the search results by upload date, status, type, duration, rating, or channel.
– Questions & Answers. This tab shows any results that are questions & answers for which you have visibility, meaning the question was asked in a channel that you can view or a course in which you’re enrolled. Using the Filters item in this tab, you can filter the search results by questions status or type as well as channels.
All tabs can be sorted by best match (default sorting), newest to oldest, oldest to newest, A-Z, and Z-A.
*Please note that Superadmins will be able to view all content in all tabs. Power Users will be able to view all content in courses, learning plans, or catalogs where they have viewing permissions. Instructors will be able to view all content in courses that they are instructing.